ASBN - Military
The Arkansas State Board of Nursing (ASBN) is committed to honoring the service of active and reserve uniformed service members, uniformed service veterans and their families. ASBN recognizes that these individuals experience unique challenges during the nursing licensure process. We strive to enhance the licensure process by streamlining certain services to qualified individuals. Several licensure support services are offered once all required documents are received; services include but are not limited to expedited temporary permit licensure and preferential processing during the issuance of a permanent license.
The information listed on this site identifies additional support services to assist in understanding the laws associated with respective military designation, streamlining licensure process, obtaining Arkansas licensure, and availability of other important resources.
In addition to the information listed on this page, click the respective link below for information related to an individual’s specific military designation status.
Associated Arkansas Nurse Practice Act (NPA) & Rules
As mandated by Act 135 of 2021, Act 820 of the 2019, and Act 248 of the 2017 Arkansas legislative sessions, the ASBN has adopted rules to assist active and reserve uniformed service members, uniformed service veterans, and their spouses in obtaining nursing licensure.
- Renewals: Option for active-duty military to have the license renewal fee waived.
- Expedited Licensure: Opportunity for expedited temporary permit licensure and preferential processing during the issuance of a permanent license once receipt of all required documents.
- Extension of Licensure Expiration Date: Opportunity for license expiration date extension for uniformed service member that is deployed outside of the state.
Note: An Arkansas uniformed service member nurse that is being deployed outside the state can upload to nurse portal account, a request for review of expiration date extension and waiver of continuing education requirements. Also upload deployment orders.
- Consideration of Military Training and Experience
- Waiver of Continuing Education: Opportunity for waiver of renewal continuing education requirements.
Click here to access Arkansas NPA & Rules in their entirety.
Licensure Portability Between States
In order to practice nursing in Arkansas, an individual is required to be licensed. Arkansas is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC). The NLC allows for registered nurses (RNs) and licensed practical/vocational nurses (LPN/VNs) to have one multistate license, with the privilege to practice physically, electronically, or telephonically in both their home state (Primary State of Residence or PSOR) and other states that have joined the NLC. APRNs are not issued a license under the NLC.
There is specific licensure information that should be reviewed:
- What You Need to Know: Federal /Military Nurses and Spouses flyer
- ASBN NLC Information
- National Council State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) NLC Information
- Arkansas Nursing Education Programs
- Click here for Arkansas nursing education programs or parent institutions that offer identified services for uniformed service personnel and or veterans.
- Continuing Education Opportunities
Active and reserve uniformed service members, uniformed service veterans and their spouse can find helpful information using the links below.
- Veterans Crisis Line: Veterans Crisis Line is a free, 24/7 and confidential telephone support to Service members, National guard/Reserve, Veterans, family and friends. Veterans Crisis Line: Dial 1-800-273-8255 and press 1. Text 838255 to reach a professional responder now.
- American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide
- Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs
- Arkansas Division of Workforce Services
- Arkansas Military Families & Veterans Resources for Families Division of Elementary & Secondary Education
- Arkansas: My Air Force Benefits
- Arkansas: My Army Benefits
- Career One Stop
- National Archives Veterans; Service Records
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
- NCLEX Qualified Veterans Reimbursement Program
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs – Education & Training
- White House Telehealth Initiatives to Provide Greater Access to Veterans