Healthy Communities

Change Sex and Name on a Birth Record

Required Documentation

A court order is required in order to change one’s sex and name on a birth certificate following a surgical procedure. Normally an attorney is needed for this type of action.

Once a court order is obtained, the requestor of the amendment must provide a certified court order specifying to change the person’s name and stating that the sex is to be changed due to a surgical procedure. (If the court order does not specify that a surgical procedure was performed, the requestor must also submit a letter from the doctor who performed the procedure, stating that it was done and written on that doctor’s official letterhead).

Submission Methods

Once these materials are submitted (along with appropriate payment) to the Arkansas Department of Health at 4815 West Markham, Slot 44, Little Rock, AR 72205, either by mail, in person, by phone (501-682-1214), by fax (501-661-2869), or by email (, the amendment can be made without the need for any additional forms. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm, with the exception of state holidays, when the office is closed.

Public Health Accrediation Board
Arkansas Department of Health
© 2017 Arkansas Department of Health. All Rights Reserved.
4815 W. Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205-3867